Cocktails, Mocktails & Alcohol
First of all: consuming too much alcohol will slow down your weight loss, and may undermine your health gains on a low-carb diet. Alcohol is burned before anything else by the body, slowing down fat loss.
However, if you can drink alcohol in moderation it’s usually not a major issue as long as it’s low in carbs. Low-carb options include wine, champagne and pure spirits like whiskey and vodka. High-carb drinks? Beer and sugary cocktails.
Instead of having alcohol why not try one of these low calorie MOCKTAILS instead?
- 4 tsp sweetener
- 100ml lime juice
- 28g fresh mint, leaves picked and washed, reserving a few sprigs to garnish
- 20 ice cubes, crushed
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 litre soda water
Rhubarb and Star Anise (FREEBEE) – Serves 4
- 2kg rhubarb stems, roughly chopped
- 2 large oranges
- 8 whole star anise
- 4tbs sweetener
Put the rhubarb in a large pan and add 1½ litres cold water. Peel 4 strips of orange skin from each orange and add to the pan with the juice from both oranges and the star anise. Bring the rhubarb to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently until soft. Allow to cool for 1 hour. Pour the rhubarb and juice into a large sieve over a large bowl and allow the juice to drip through overnight. Pour the strained juice into a pan and add the sweetener. Stir over a low heat until dissolved. Allow the cordial to cool. Store in the fridge and dilute to taste.
Pineapple and Lime Mocktail
- 1 tsp clear honey
- Edible gold glitter
- Small bunch of coriander leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 750ml pineapple juice
- Handful of ice
- 400ml slim line tonic
Dip a pastry brush in the honey and paint a line down one side of 4 tumblers. Sprinkle some edible gold glitter over the honey, dust off any excess, then put the glasses in the fridge.
Chop the coriander leaves and place in a cocktail shaker with the lime juice, 100ml pineapple juice and a handful of ice. Shake together until the outside of the shaker feels cold. Strain into the glasses, add extra ice cubes and divide 650ml pineapple juice and the tonic water between the glasses.
- MASSIVE congratulations to CORINNA for reaching her 100lb award, this was presented by Andrew Gwynne MP at Denton’s meeting. So proud of her!! She looks amazing. (separate BLOG to follow on Corinna’s story and lots of before and after pics!).
- Liz got her stone award and has now lost over two stone, she also got Slimmer of the Week at Hyde meeting.
- Corinna got her stone and a half award at Levenshulme and is looking fab!
- Martha got her stone award and her fab five% – well done hun! Zeto is working for her!
- Slimmer of the week at Levenshulme was the lovely Fiona – fab result Fiona!
- Slimmer of the week at Denton went to Shanon – she lost a massive 3lb after following Slim Fast for a week and is only two pounds away from her target weight – WOW!
- Anne-Marie got her terrific ten% and her third super seven – fab!
- Slimmer of the week at Didsbury went to Zeinab, she also got slimmer of the week too. Well done!🙌🙌🙌