FIVE A DAY 🍇🥒🍓🥬🍊🥕🍋🥦
Almost all your fruit and vegetables count towards your five a day, so it may be easier than you think to get your recommended amount
This week’s topic was discussing getting your five a day and to be fair a good 98% of you already are getting them, which is brilliant.
Fruit and vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin c and potassium. They’re an excellent source of dietary fibre, which can help maintain a healthy gut and prevent constipation and other digestion problems. A diet high in fibre can also reduce risk of bowel cancer.
If you struggle getting your five a day here are some way to make sure you are getting them:-
- Have fruit or Veg for breakfast
- Double up on vegetable servings
- Aim to fill half your plate with veg
- Use fruit and veg as ingredients
- Try new seasonal fruits and veg
I have listed the foods that have the highest content of each vitamin/nuttrient
POTASSIUM – helps with blood pressure
- Tomatoes, Banana, Kiwi, Broccoli, Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes.
VITAMIN A – Good for eyes, skin, prevents infections
- Grapefruit, Melon, Mango, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Apricots
FOLIC ACID – Prevents kidney disease, vision, depression
- Celeriac, Asparagus, Blackberries, Beetroot, Strawberries and Melon
FIBER – helps digestive system, decreases risk of heart disease
- Blueberries, Apple, Pears, Sprouts, Onions, Spinach Raspberries
VITAMIN C – Antioxidfant, reduces blood pressure, good for heart
- Peppers, Oranges, Blackberries, Potatoes, Sprouts, Cauliflower, Kiwi and Strawberry
MAGNESIUM – Muscles and heart
- Avocado, Banana, Raspberries, Cabbage, Green Beans, Artichokes, Asparagus and Sprouts
CALCIUM – Healthy bones and teeth also helps nervous system and glands
- Kale, Pakchoi, Broccoli, Orange, Gooseberries, Figs and Rhubarb
This week’s results….
Remote Zoom members had some fab losses. We welcomed new members Olivia and Lorraine. Have a great first week ladies.
Denton lost an amazing 95 marbles today. We welcomed back Sarah and new members Jordan and Julie, zoom member Sarah has come back to group too – have a fab first week ladies.
Chrissie Crompton got her two stone award, Janet for her terrific ten %, Sandra got her fab five %, Denise got her super seven, Michelle got her stone award and also slimmer of the week too! 👏👏👏👏
Massive well done to my Haughton Green members. 45 marbles gone!!! We welcomed new members Dorothy, Tracey and Kirsty. Have a great first week ladies. Lorraine got her half a stone award and she also got slimmer of the week! 👏🙌👏👏
Huge well done to my Longsight members, 50 marbles gone forever. We welcome returning member Annemarie and new member Lynda. Have a great first week ladies. Slimmer of the week went to Maureen 💪💪👏👏
Have a fantastic week everyone and be sure to be getting at least five a day.